The Bureau carries out several tasks, including:
- Building a national legal database.
- Providing legal advice on any functions of public institutions.
- Providing membership on the disciplinary council of diplomatic staff of the grade of an ambassador or higher.
- Providing final drafts of regulations before they are approved. These are presented to the Council of Ministers for recommendation and approval by the President or Prime Minister in due form.
- Preparing and publishing the Palestinian Official Gazette in a periodic manner.
- Offering legal counsel to all public institutions.
- Reviewing and proposing mechanisms needed to upgrade legislation.